Juvenile Dependancy/Delinquency (3)Child Abuse and Neglect
Child Abuse and Neglect
Child abuse is one of the most horrendous acts a person can commit, but it is an unfortunately common occurrence. Every week, Child Protective Services (CPS) receives 50,000 calls about suspected child abuse and neglect cases across the country. Most cases of child abuse are due to neglect, in which a child’s parents or guardians fail to provide basic necessities for the child to develop and thrive. Physical abuse is the next most common form of child abuse, followed by sexual abuse, and finally, emotional abuse.
If you are fighting for child custody and you believe that your spouse or ex-spouse may be subjecting your child to abuse, contact our caring and understanding San Diego child custody attorneys of Fischer & Van Thiel, LLP, at 858-935-6211 to discuss your case.
Signs of Child Abuse
It is very important to know the signs of child abuse so you can file a claim with CPS as soon as possible, even if you are not a direct relative of the child in question. The signs of child abuse can differ depending on the specific type of abuse a child has suffered, but generally, signs of child abuse include:
- Bruises, cuts, broken bones, and other physical indicators that someone has been physically beaten
- Unhealthy or stunted growth and development
- Loss of parent-child interactions
- Signs that someone has been sexually abused, such as genital bleeding
- Becoming withdrawn and other changes in behavior
- Changes in school performance
- Changes in a child’s social behavior
If you believe your spouse or ex-spouse is abusing your child, it is essential that you take action immediately to protect your child from suffering any further harm.
If you would like to learn more about how child abuse can affect child custody decisions, contact the experienced and dedicated San Diego child custody lawyers of Fischer & Van Thiel, LLP, at 858-935-6211.
Are You Aware of these 5 Common Signs of Child Abuse?
Across the country, Child Protective Services (CPS) receives roughly 50,000 calls a week about suspected child abuse cases. While some of these calls do not reflect any actual instances of abuse, sadly, child abuse does happen and in some instances, it occurs at the hands of a parent or other family member. In order to help keep your child safe, it is important to be aware of some of the most common signs of child abuse. If you notice any of these in your child, you should take action immediately.
If you suspect that your child is being abused, it is easy to feel confused and scared; unsure of what to do next. To learn more about what you can and should do at this time, contact the understanding and tenacious San Diego child custody lawyers of Fischer & Van Thiel, LLP, at 858-935-6211 to discuss your situation with a dedicated attorney.
5 Child Abuse Signs
Child abuse can take many forms, including physical abuse, emotional abuse, sexual abuse, or neglect. All of these can be devastating to a child’s well-being and future, so it is important to be able to immediately recognize common signs of child abuse so you can protect your child and remove him or her from an abusive situation
You should be aware of the following five common signs of child abuse, and take action if you notice any:
- Physical signs of abuse such as cuts, bruises, broken bones, etc.
- A dramatic change in attitude or personality, such as suddenly becoming withdrawn or detached
- Serious and sudden changes in parent-child interactions
- Signs that one has been abused sexually, such as genital bleeding
- Sudden, inexplicable weight loss
If you suspect that your spouse is abusing your child, you need to take decisive action. Contact a San Diego child custody attorney with Fischer & Van Thiel, LLP, at 858-935-6211 to learn more about how we can help your family at this difficult time.
Child Abuse Statistics
Child abuse is one of the biggest problems facing the American family today. While we’re almost all familiar with news stories of kids being beaten and abused, we are often blind to it when it happens closer to home, without the dramatization of the news story. The only people who can prevent child abuse are well-informed and responsible adults. If you suspect that your spouse is abusing your children, contact the San Diego divorce attorneys of Fischer & Van Thiel, LLP by calling 858-935-6211 today.
Every year, about 3 million reports are filed concerning child abuse and other forms of child neglect. However, these reports can concern multiple children. In 2007 alone, 5.8 million children were involved in 3.2 million reported cases of child abuse. And these numbers do not even tell the whole story, as there are numerous cases of child abuse and neglect that go unreported every year.
Additional, shocking child abuse statistics are as follows:
- Approximately five children die every day as a result of child abuse.
- A report of child abuse occurs every ten seconds.
- About 90% of child sexual abuse victims know their attacker; approximately 68% are related to their attacker.
- Over 60% of the people in drug rehabilitation facilities were abused as children.
- About 80% of people in their early 20s who had been abused as children have at least one psychological disorder.
- Child abuse costs taxpayers over $100 billion every year.
- Children who have been the victims of sexual abuse are several times more likely to develop alcohol or drug dependency problems.
If your spouse or partner is abusing your children, it is your duty to do something about it. If you’re interested in finding out more about your divorce options in this situation, contact the San Diego divorce lawyers of Fischer & Van Thiel, LLP by calling 858-935-6211.