Call Today for a FREE Consultation!

(858) 935-6211

Contact Us


Call for Free Consultation

(858) 935-6211

[gravityform id="11" name="Contact Us Fixed" title="false" description="false" ajax="true"]

Frequently Asked Questions

Divorce law can be a complex topic for those unfamiliar with the field. At the law firm of Fischer & Van Thiel, LLP, we have taken it upon ourselves to ensure that you are familiar with each issue that arises in a divorce.

Child Support

Expand allClose all

Can both parents agree to stop child support?

Can both parents agree to stop child support?

Question Detail

The custodial and non custodial parent agrees that child support should be stopped. Is this possible?


Yes, both parties can sign a stipulation stating that no child support will be paid as long as the custodial parent is not receiving aid. However, the court will retain jurisdiction over child support until the child reaches the age of majority. This means that at any time, the custodial parent can go to court and request child support.

Can I get child support if I am not getting a divorce?

Can I get child support in California if I am not getting a divorce?

Question Detail

I have been separated for two years from my wife, and my kids live with me. Can I get support without filing for divorce in California? We have not been living together since our separation, and even file taxes separately.


You do not need to file for divorce in order to get support. You will need to go through the court to obtain a child support order so you will have to file something. You can contact your local Department of Child support services office and they can help you get started. So while you do not have to file for divorce, you can file for a legal separation. The court needs to know that you two have in fact separated and there is one parent who is the full time provides and therefore in need of support.

How can she get child support?

How can she get child support?


In addition to filing for dissolution, she can file a motion with the court requesting child and spousal support. If she is unable to afford the services of an attorney, she can contact her local Department of Child Support Services (DCSS) for assistance. Also, Family Law Facilitator offices located in many courthouses can assist her in preparing the necessary documents to request support.

FAQs by Category:

Articles by Category:

Blogs by Category:

  • Testimonials

    • photo

      I was very happy with Mr. Fischer and his team! They helped me in a time of crisis and made sure the outcome was in my favor. Thank you s ...More

      Thomas Zachary
    • photo

      Thank you Mr. Fischer!!! I would and have recommended this Michael Fischer to friends. I had a very difficult divorce/child custody. He a ...More

      Elizabeth Mila
    • photo

      I was dealt with a man for over 2 years who was only concerned with breaking me and reducinghis support payments fo rhis children, Mr. Fi ...More

      David Sebastian
    • photo

      My wife and I started our divorce over two years ago, and I was at a stand still with my wife and my attorney at the time had no plan. I ...More

      Gabriel Dylan
    • photo

      I wanted to take a moment and thank Mike Fischer my divorce attorney for all that he did for me. He made a very difficult time much easie ...More

      Kaylee Victoria
    • photo

      Going through my custody battle was very emotionally trying. I was lucky to have choosen Fischer & Van Thiel to help me protect the m ...More

      Mithila Parker
    2017 yamaha v star 950 owners manual
    Tascam 2516 manual
    Biology dna technology study guide answers
    Mazda mpv 2016 service manual
    Gdzie kupic nootropil bez recepty
    Handbuch und söhne mannheim
    2017 jeep grand cherokee workshop manual
    Manuel utilisateur iphone 5
    Mazda 3 service manuals
    Summer dresses for girl